At Cheam Common Junior Academy, we are committed to ensuring that all students who are Young Carers are identified.
We aim to do this by –
- Having open honest relationships with our students and their families, doing all we can to know them well.
- Following up information shared by other schools.
- Following up information shared by other agencies.
- Awareness-raising assemblies and items in newsletters e.g. during Young Carers’ Week.
- Having regular Peer Support Groups that Young Carers can attend.
At Cheam Common Junior Academy, we are committed to ensuring our staff are trained and able to identify Young Carers in the school.
We aim to do this by ensuring our staff know-
- How to identify Young Carers
- How their caring roles can impact on their ability to participate fully in school life
- The potential for social isolation or bullying.
- The need to make reasonable and supportive adaptations.
- There may be difficulties in engaging parents such as at parent evenings.
- The co-ordinator’s roles for Young Carers and the ways in which they can signpost support as required.
- How to support Young Carers on a regular basis.
- How to refer Young Carers to the appropriate Young Carers Service.
We value the importance of working together in partnership with other agencies e.g. Sutton Young Carers Service to ensure that a personalised support for Young Carers and their families is achieved throughout the school community.
If you would like more information, please contact Mrs S Hart who will be happy to answer any of your queries. You can contact her via the usual school number or email firstname.lastname@example.org